Re: Why is /dev/console linked to /dev/tty0?

* Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> writes:

>> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root  4 Apr  7  1999 /dev/console -> tty0

> Then there is a bug in Eterm. Or you are trying to let multiple
> programs catch the output of /dev/console - TIOCCONS (the mechanism
> that provides "console output cloning to ptys") can only redirect
> to ONE pty at the time.

Wonderful! That was it: I ran xconsole already as I tried to start
Eterm --console.

> There is nothing to fix. The link from /dev/console to /dev/tty0
> is standard in all distributions. Only with 2.2.x kernels did
> /dev/console get its own major/minor device, c 5 1. Using that
> with 2.0.x kernels won't work at all.

Okay, I lied when I said that I have a plain slink system: I compiled
2.2.x kernels myself, and not using a Debian package for this. Shame
on me :-)

Would the Debian kernel package have removed that link and created
that device? Should/could I do this myself?

Thanks,
  Colin