presentation graphics

> I want to produce some simple bar charts showing the difference between
> different products.  Gnuplot doesn't seem to be able to do what I want
(just
> nice clean bars with numbers at the tops and descriptions at the bottom).

> Is there a good program to do this easily?  Preferrably something I can
run
> from a makefile...

Well, I'm not claiming the stuff below is good:). But is is
easy, and you can generate it from a makefile (just make the
makefile insert your own table where I now got that postscript
array).

%!PS

/width 10 def

/r{(bar.ps) run} def

[
[10 (foo)]
[20 (bar)]
[30 (foobar)]
[29 (fooba)]
[50 (fbfb)]
[20 (bar)]
]

/bar {
aload pop
/title exch def
/y exch def
gsave
0.5 setgray
width 0 rlineto
0     y rlineto
width -1 mul 0 rlineto
closepath
fill
grestore
gsave
width 2 div y width 2 div add rmoveto 90 rotate title show
grestore
} def

/Times-Roman findfont 10 scalefont setfont
100 100 moveto
{
width 0 rmoveto
bar