ppp problem 2

Hi all,
     I've recently upgraded to slink from hamm and now I'm having a problem with
ppp. The networking
 works much better than hamm which is good and I've configured my ISP's using
pppconfig and before so I
assumed everything was. I can use Netscape just fine, and lynx mostly works. My
problems are with ping and
 ftp. I can't ping the nameservers or any other destination out on the 'net and
I can't ftp either.
     So my question is what's changed between hamm and slik to affect ftp and
ping and how do I get them
working?

I'd appreciate a cc because I'm at work at the moment.

thanks

ps. OK it's not slink. I can remember doing an apt-get to upgrade the
distribution and a general update which
worked fine and I'd ping idsoftware.com to test the link was up. Fetchmail used
to work as well. I half suspect it's
Gnome that's done it. Gnome was the last thing I upgraded over a ppp link. Now
it appears that addresses are
not being resolved correctly. Aaarrrgggghhhhh.

HELP.