Desperately need help on X! Please!

Hi all,

Here is my problem:

After I configure X.
I typed "startx", the screen goes blank and then turn white with an "X" mark
in the middle(for about 2 seconds) and then it gives this only message:
"wait for X server to shut down".

I don't know what the problem is, I have configure it over and over again,
trying different modes and optioms and nothing seems to work. I also
reinstall the packages and that doesn't work also. So right now I don't know
what's wrong and how to find out what's wrong . I am stuck and don't know
what to do,  if you have any suggestions, please help. If you need more
info, tell me.

Thanx so much,

Tam