Re: recommend mp3 encoder

--- Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.net> wrote:
> Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> >
> > About the only choice these days is bladeenc.  Due
> > patent issues it is probably NOT available in a
> .deb,
> > at least not on the debian ftp site.  However you
> can
> > get it from Tord's home page (I don't recall the
> url,
> > but you can find it on freshmeat or linuxberg).
> It is
> > now licensed under the lgpl so the source is
> > available.  Bladeenc is a high quality encoder
> that
> > excels at 128, 256, and 320bps encoding, AND is
> fast too!
>
> I wondered about this. Since it's a patent issue and
> most other
> countries don't accept software patents, why can't
> mp3 encoders be
> included in non-US?
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart.

I don't know how many countries deny software patents,
but Sweeden does at least as that is where the
Bladeenc web site is.  Tord had to consult with a
lawyer to find out what to do when Franhaufer came
knocking on his door.  His response was, NOT HERE!  No
word what Franhaufer's response was.  The reason he
licensed under the LGPL instead of the GPL was to
divorce any dependancies of his software upon where it
was used, just in case.
  A debian non-us site in Sweeden might work.  BTW at
last look I saw the source to Bladeenc on Stampede
Linux's ftp site.  Maybe they just don't care. (or
haven't heard from Framhaufer yet).

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze