Re: recommend mp3 encoder

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 03:55:55PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> I'm looking for the highest compression quality possible. I don't care
> about speed (nor about interface) at all. Is there anything compareable
> to Fraunhoffer encoder under win32 for Linux?
>
> I'll be encoding wavs into 256 KBps mp3's.

Go with Fraunhofer's mp3enc (commercial) if possible,
else get a copy of LAME (said to be good).

Tomorrow's c't (german computer magazine) features a comparison between
LAME, mp3enc, XING encoder and bladenc.
Bladenc doesn't cut it, it seems, while mp3enc seems to be the reference in
audio quality, with LAME being a good alternative choice.

--

 thomas.                                .powered.by.debian/linux.
                                           .served.by.FreeBSD.