Slink -> Potato: Problem with ppp/chat/pcmcia/modem?

I just used "apt-get dist-upgrade" to move from a slink to a potato
distribution on my Laptop (Dell Latitude CPi D300Xt). Had a minor
problem with configuring some packages because of perl.  I manually
"dpkg --install perl*" and then got apt-get going again. Almost
succeeded, failing in the end on make-doc (which I'll ignore for now).

My problem is that "pon" (as in ppp) is now failing and I've spent a
good few hours trying to figure out why.  I'm using PCMCIA. I've
recompiled the kernel 2.2.12 and pcmcia-sources, just as I used to
with slink.

After some odd module problems (unresolved symbols in parport.o and
couldn't find module char-major-108, problems that I did not get under
slink, even though I started out using the same kernel .config file)
the kernel/module things seem okay.

Issuing "pon" or pppd directly, I get (in the plog file)

	chat[...]: Can't get terminal parameters: Input/output error.

I believe pppd is working okay, since if I mimic the modem on my
interactive tty to get the ATZ stuff, I can respond "OK" to get ATDT
etc.

The pcmcia modem card seems to be fine, since ejecting and inserting
it generates various beeps and the syslog file records the appropriate
IRQ (3) and identifies it as a Serial or Modem card.  Similarly,
"cardinfo" reports the card.

If I reboot under WindowsNT the modem works just fine.  The modem was
working just fine under Slink until I did the upgrade. Installing
pcmcia-cs package suggested restarting the daemon, so I did, and since
then have had this problem.

I'm running out of ideas and things to read.  Any suggestions? I wish
I had redirected the output from apt-get to some place so I could now
read it.  Is this information stored anywhere, so I might check for
other messages that I missed along the way (the apt-get download took
some 24 hours over the modem!).

Many thanks in advance.....

Cheers,
Graham