Re: dselect vs apt

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 11:28:25AM +0100, Urban Gabor wrote:
> Though it might be a lamer question, I would like to know the major
> differences between dselect and apt. I do not upgrade my boxes via ftp, I
> allways (more or less :-)) ) wait till the new release is assembled in CD
> images. Why would I switch to apt?

apt is the latest method for updating a Debian system over the net.

dselect is a front-end for managing packages, and can use apt as the
back-end for downloading and managing the actual installation (i highly
recommend this).

apt-get is a command-line interface to apt, rather than the curses-dased
dselect. Some people despise dselect, but just about everyone likes
apt-get.

capt is an ncurses-based front-end to apt. i personally prefer dselect.

gnome-apt is an X-based front-end to apt. i've never tried it,
personally i like a textmode front-end better because it doesn't require
messing around to get an app run by root to show up on an X display
running as my user.

You would switch to apt if you want to download packages from the
internet, instead of or in addition to using your CDs. i'd recommend you
at least get the slink security updates (i don't know the URL offhand,
anyone feel like posting it?), and update to r3 if your CDs aren't there
already.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  16 Nov 1999 - new key generated, please stop using the old.