Mouse, please help

Hello,
I have a problem with the mouse. After the installation finished,
and i startx there is no mouse. I see an "x" in the middle of the
screen.
I only installed debian yesterday, so be patient with me.
I did crtl+alt+del dropped to console and typed gpm but it said command
not found.i also typed gpmconfig and also command not found.
I try to run XF86Setup but i cannot move through the menus because there
is
no mouse. is there a console solution to this, or how can i do it
manually.Maybe the package gpm is not installed.How do i install it?
Is gpm responsible for the mouse in Xserver too or only for console?
Maybe is running and i don't know it. Maybe i need to tell kde to
recognise the mouse, but how can i communicate with kde if i have no
mouse?

Thanks