Re: upgrading from corel linux to potato

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 12:04:21PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Next the cron upgrade failed with an odd error about being unable
> to lock /var/run/cron.pid. Manually killing the dron daemon allowed it to
> proceed. I don't know if this problem was corel-specific or not.

It's not..  Happened to me for a standard slink -> potato upgrade.  The
problem was that cron was stopped but then go restarted by another
package's postinst which restarted essential daemons for some purpose
which happened to include cron.  This meant that cron was running before
the cron package configured and tried to restart it.

> All in all, a rougher upgrade than you'd expect to see from any debian
> version to any other.

Possibly someone will post information on how to do this cleanly as we get
closer to a potato release.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3