How to mirror Debian across a firewall

Hello,

I want to have a local Debian mirror but to do this I have to go through
our firewall. I'm looking at "rsync" and "mirror." The documentation of
the former doesn't mention proxies at all and that of the latter
suggests defining the variables proxy=true, proxy_ftp_port=xxxx and
proxy_gateway=gateway_name. However I've been unable to get mirror
through the firewall here.

The environment variable ftp_proxy and http_proxy work with other
packages like lynx and apt but neither rsync or mirror seem to care
about them.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

--
Pedro