mixviews or mix?

I just compiled the emu10k1-11161999 from Creative
and have a working Soundblaster Live. I installed
'mixviews' using dselect successfully but what and
where is the programme?  I looked in /var/lib/dpkg
for information but all I can find is the package
name.  The other problem is that I tried to
compile the package 'mix-linux.tar.gz' which I
fetched from an ftp server. It dies trying to
include 'audio.h', 'audiofile.h' and 'bstring.h'.
Commenting these out, AFfile_whatsits are missing
and clearly these files are needed. I used grep
to look for the missing definitions in headers
that are on my system, slink with a 2.2.12 kernel.
I've looked for the missing files using 'find'
in /usr/include  and  /usr/src/linux/include.

This fragmentation across linux distributions does
no good to making linux a household choice instead
of Windows.

Ian Stirling