Re: pppd Crashes Serial Port

> (I don't think we've heard back from the original poster (Sciortino?)
> since making our suggestions.)

I've been listening intently and learning a great deal. Thanks to all
who've been helping me out.

My progress so far:

I've pretty much eliminated the possibility of an IRQ conflict between
the mouse and the modem. The jumper setting on the sportster are for
com2, IRQ3. The BIOS setting for serial A is com1, IRQ4.

I've also taken David's great diagnostic tip and checked
/proc/interrupts while moving the mouse with pppd down, and while not
moving the mouse while something is downloading. All evidence appears to
indicate that they are not on the same interrrupt.

Now I'm trying running with gpm shut down. This seems to be giving me
_much_ higherreliability. I'm not totally comfortable with this
solution, since it seems like the problem should be some sort of
hardware conflict.

I checked out whether this was X dependent. With gpm up, the serial port
crashes in lynx running from a non-x console too. (though x was still
running on console 7)

I'll keep you posted. If I don't have another crash over the next few
days, I'll post the good news.

It all seems very strange since my serial settings seem to be pretty
vanilla.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Jeff

--

To try many things and succeed in a few is success.

      				-Elbert Hubbard