Re: Debian SPARC

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 12:08:00PM -0900, Christopher S. Swingley wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a Sun Ultra-10 with an UltraSPARC-IIi (300 MHz) processor
> that is currently running Solaris 2.5.1.  It is my web, anonymous ftp
> and email server.  Solaris 2.5.1 has Y2K issues and I was thinking about
> upgrading to Debian since I'm more familiar with Linux than Solaris.
> I know I've got a lot of work ahead of me if I want to do this, so
> I'd like some opinions from those of you using Debian on an Ultra-SPARC
> machine.
>
>     * Is this a good idea?
>     * What things might I be missing that were either in Solaris,
>       or in Debian-i386?
>     * Comments on Debian-Sparc?

I'm currently running Debian on an UltraSPARC 5 (UltraSPARC IIi cpu
aswell). Basically the system is almost exactly the same as the i386 port,
even the install is the same (except you have different options for the
install media, such as tftp images). Some things to make sure of:

1) Use the 2.2.1-sun4u boot images in the slink distribution
2) Immediately upgrade to potato, and the 2.2.13-sun4u kernel image

IMO, slink is less stable than the current potato distribution, for sparc.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '