so far, and you've just gone past where you can go with just floppies.

So you have 2 options:
1) Net install (using ftp, http, nfs mounted drive, etc.)
2) CD install (get a $2.00 CD at www.cheapbytes.com

Now, let's assume you want to do the net install.
We'll need to get that card working.  What can you tell us about it?
I have a cheap ne2000 clone as well.  Is it ISA-PNP, or just ISA? or PCI?

Here's what I did with mine...
1) Since the card was ISA-PNP, I needed to find out the ioport and irq of the
   card.  Since I had windows on the machine, I went into the system settings
   and discovered it was at IO=0x300, IRQ=10.

2) From the manual: "Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 For Intel x86 (the document
   I believe you've been using), Section 6.1 shows that you are presented with a
   "boot:" prompt.  i had to enter (I believe):
			linux ether=10,0x300,eth0
    Replace 10 with your IRQ, 0x300 with your IO address (but don't forget the
    0x (zero-x) in front).  Leave the eth0.  This tells the kernel it should
    find an ethernet card at IO address 0x300, IRQ 10, and that it should be
    designated as the first card (eth0, eth1, eth2, etc.)

3) From then on, You should follow the installation manual for network installs.

Let us (the list) know how this works.  If it doesn't, post any details you
can about your network card.  ne2000's are fairly well supported under linux.

Bryan