eterm, gnome-term... colors?

I was trying to decide between using eterms or gnome-terms yesterday,
and I guess in the midst of my messing around, I messed something up.
it used to be that things like dselect would show up in color within the
eterms, however they no longer do.  How do I set this stuff up?  I am
using LSCOLORS and that shows up fine initially when I open a eterm, or
gnome-term, but when I su, the colors stop shower up.  The colors are
set in .bashrc and .bash_profile of both my account and root.  Is there
a complete explination to all this someplace?  Or does someone know how
to set thigs up so that colors show up when I su, and also for things
like dselect.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu