Re: Installation problems...

At 04:23 PM 11/16/99 +0000, Carlo Contavalli wrote:

Hi All!
I'm trying to install debian on a dual Pentium machine with a SCSI controller, but after the prompt and after "Loading", without printing any dot, it stops and prints "Boot failed".

The computer has two pentium 166, 36 Mb of Ram, an adaptec AHA1542b controller, two HD and a cdrom.

Any IDE disks ???

I tryied giving the kernel some parameters at the boot prompt, but it doesn't boot anyway, and I don't think that's my problem.

Any idea of what I could try?

Thank you, for the help!
 Bye

Rescue Floppy
Users of Adaptec 2940 SCSI cards, and other SCSI controllers with the aic7xxx chipset, will probably experience problems with the standard boot-floppies. A kind user has made some experiments which many users find to solve their problems. There are two alternative Rescue Floppies for the i386 architecture at ftp://kalle.csb.ki.se/pub/. There are also replacement kernels in that location, which you can use to simply replace the existing kernels on the boot-floppies. You'll need the Drivers Floppy from the standard location. A competing and newer set of Rescue and Driver Floppies for Adaptec users can be found at http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/.