Re: Shuffling drives

William T Wilson said:
> Why do you want to do that?  Just leave the kernel on /dev/hdb and use

There is that, I suppose...  The current hda is an older 2.5 G Western
Digital drive while hdb is a 6 G Quantum Fireball UDMA.  I'm assuming that
I'd get better performance out of the Fireball if it were drive 0.

> your new space on /dev/hda for home directories, /usr/local, a potato
> install, or something.  Your kernel won't be upset if it stays on
> /dev/hdb.

Actually, once I wipe Windows, I'm planning to mount the drive under
/mmdata/audio/mp3...  (Oops!  Bad idea...  I just checked and I've already got
3.25 G of MP3s...  Guess it goes somewhere else after all...)

Now if I really wanted to make the effort of doing it right, I'd swap that
drive for my other machine's mostly-empty 8 G drive.  But that one is
currently mounted as / and I don't particularly care to bother with moving a
root partition to a different drive.

> It should work, but you will have to boot off a floppy disk to redo
> lilo.conf and LILO.

Really?  I'd think I could just add another entry to lilo.conf for Linux on
hda, rerun lilo to install it, and I should be fine.  (Just so long as I
leave the current entries intact so I can move the drive back to hdb if
something goes wrong, of course.)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+