Re: X window!!!

> > I configured Xfree yesterday and I have entered in all the valid
> > information for my monitor, video card and so forth. But afterward, I run
> > "startx" and it gave me this error message:
>
> It would only happen if you dit not configure it ok (assuming that the
> video board is supported by the XFree86 version your system is running).
>
> > ----------------------------
> > System: '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w l -R/user/X11R6/lib/X11.xkb
> > -xkm -m us -eml "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:"-emp"> "
> > -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the xserver" keymap/xfree86
> > /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm
> >
> > wait for X server to shut down.
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Do you guys know what this message means?
>

> It seems to be a misconvigured keyboard section in your
> /etc/X11/XF86Config or a broken package (perhaps HD errors).
> Try to reinstall X or hack it.

I have a similar message (in my message, /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm from above is replaced by compiled/xfree86.xkm).
My XF86Config keyboard section is an attempt to copy the man example, with pc101 replaced by pc104.

[23:39:35 shaul]$ grep Xkb -A3 -B5 /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol    "Standard"
    AutoRepeat  500 5

    XkbRules    "xfree86"
    XkbModel    "pc104"
    XkbLayout   "us"
    XkbVariant  ""
    XkbOptions  ""
EndSection

[23:40:43 shaul]$ man XF86Config |grep Xkb -A3 -B2
               options.  The default mappings for each these are:

                    XkbRules     "xfree86"
                    XkbModel     "pc101"
                    XkbLayout    "us"
                    XkbVariant   ""
                    XkbOptions   ""

       This  is  the  preferred method of specifying the keyboard
       configuration, however, you can also  specify  the  compo­
--
               ues:

                    XkbKeymap    none
                    XkbKeycodes  "xfree86"
                    XkbTypes     "default"
                    XkbCompat    "default"
                    XkbSymbols   "us(pc101)"
                    XkbGeometry  "pc"

       The  Pointer section is used to specify the pointer device
       and parameters.  The entries available  for  this  section
[23:40:50 shaul]$