ALSA modules have unresolved symbols

I'm trying to get my dodgy old ISA SB16 to work with ALSA instead
of OSS/Free, and having difficulty with the alsa-modules-2.2.13
package.

I have sound support built into my 2.2.13 kernel:

[root@letdown /usr/share/doc/alsautils] # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
soundcore               2788   0  (autoclean) (unused)
rtl8139                11840   1

But inserting any ALSA modules complains of unresolved symbols,
and so does depmod:

[root@letdown /usr/src/linux] # depmod
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/sound/snd.o

Do I need to compile anything else into the kernel, or is
something more important wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help,
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                            alisdair@wasters.org
[funny how everything i swore i wouldn't change, is different now]