Netscape bus error after accidental dist-upgrade

Oops.  I added the potato directories to my sources.list file,
intending to do a dist-upgrade *later*, but discovered that if you run
dselect and let it "Install" with the potato directories there . . .
it does what amounts to a distribution upgrade all by itself.  So I
ran a real dist-upgrade (only four packages) to follow up.

I fixed a couple of the problems that happen with the potato upgrade
pretty easily.

1)For some reason, inetd.conf is reset to not allow smtp connections
from anywhere, making it impossible for fetchmail to deliver mail
locally.

2)For some reason, the upgrade removes the xfont-base package,
preventing X from loading.

There's one that I want advice on, though.  "For some reason" the
upgrade uninstalled netscape.  Now that I've reinstalled it, it fails
with a bus error every time I try to load it.  I tried loading it into
gdb to figure out why, and discovered that /usr/bin/X11/netscape is
a link to /etc/alternatives/netscape, which is a link to
/usr/lib/netscape/461/navigator-smotif.  This, in turn, is a link to
/usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper.

What is the point of all these links, anyway?

wrapper isn't even a program, of course, it's a shell script.  It
actually executes
/usr/lib/netscape/461/navigator/navigator-smotif.real.  Loading *that*
into gdb gives me:

	Cannot access memory at address 0x6e2f6269.

and then

	0x401a7356 in strrchr () from /lib/libc.so.5

Anyone know why it won't run on my box?
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."