Installing from CD-ROM: problems

Hi!

A friend of mine is installing Debian from cd-roms (from a machine without
Internet connectivity), and since I have never done that myself, I'm a bit
at a loss to why it won't work correctly. Here's the problems:

* The initial dselect install only installed from the first cd, it seemed
  not to care about the second. The cds are the official ISOs, downloaded
  from Debians ftp site.

* We downloaded some additions, and we can get apt-cdrom to recognize that
  we have non-free and non-us on the disk, but not the other updates that
  were on it, namely october GNOME, y2k updates and XFree86 3.3.5. The
  non-free and non-us are downloaded directly from the ftp site, and the
  other updates were downloaded from the web (don't remember the exact url,
  but it was a ~ directory on www.debian.org, linked via www.gnome.org). The
  Packages.gz files are as follows (relative to the cd root directory):

$ find . -name "Packages.gz"
./dists/slink/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
./dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/Packages.gz
./dists/slink/october-gnome/binary-i386/Packages.gz
./dists/slink/y2k-update/binary-i386/Packages.gz
./dists/slink/xfree-update/binary-i386/Packages.gz

  Why does apt-cdrom only find the first two?

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/