Re: don't make it a black box please

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 04:13:03PM -0600, Fethi Okyar wrote:
> to move to kde I needed to upgrade my X system. (I was using one
> that came with hamm)
> [...]
>
> Only thing mentioned is "use apt-get".  Ok, I used "apt-get" to get
> the "xbase" package which is supposed to include all what is
> neseccary for the upgrade of X or at least thats whats being
> claimed. Cause it didnt work!!!
> [...]

I believe that xbase is now an empty package--read what
/usr/doc/xbase has to say about it.  If you add the following line:

deb http://kde.tdyc.com/ slink kde

to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and then "apt-get install kdebase",
all the X and library dependencies should be resolved automatically.

> "apt-get" isn't a genius I suppose so, developers shouldn't expect
> miracles from it, instead they can give more documentation about
> installation procedures.

Actually, apt-get is extremely smart--I think the problem you had
was not trusting it to be smart enough, along with a perhaps
counter-intuitive reorganization of the X package names.

> Will anybody hear this outcry out there? The reason I moved to
> Debian is cause I was thinking I would get more control as to what I
> would be installing on my machine and all the other configuration
> issues. I don't want SUPERCLEVER installation engines, I just want
> to know what is going on!!

Well, you could still manually "dpkg --install abc.deb"'ing every
package you need, resolving all the dependencies and "dpkg --remove
xyz"'ing all the conflicts and such, but for systems as huge and
complex as X and KDE, this would mean *allot* of work.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Debian FAQ
at http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ and the tutorial:
http://www.debian.org/~hp/tutorial/debian-tutorial.html/index.html

HTH,
-Kevin