Re: null-modem PPP connection from Windows

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 04:30:22PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote

> A friend want to connect his Debian laptop and a Windows box
> through a null-modem cable;  we thought a PPP link would be most
> flexible in terms of usability (http, ftp, telnet, etc).
>
> He uncommented the `getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100' line in
> /etc/inittab and added the serail port to /etc/securetty.
> In the Windows log files, he can see that the "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1"
> login prompt appear.

You are probably best off using the "mgetty" package rather than getty.
It provides an "auto_PPP" feature (configurable on a port-by-port basis,
in /etc/mgetty/login.config) that will automatically start pppd (ideally,
with PAP authentication) if it sees a pppd (e.g., Win95) on the other end.
You will have to configure it not to expect a modem.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au