Re: Large disks

> I recently installed slink on a machine with a 15.2GB IBM harddisk
> and it only recognised about 8GB of the drive.

Ok - a kernel 2.0 limitation

> I went ahead and partitioned the drive normally, leaving the last
> 4GB for /home. Now I've upgraded to 2.2.x and potato and I want to
> use the whole of the disk by extending the /home partition. How
> can I do this?

Since you knew about the limitation and acted accordingly, I would say

1) add a partition to take up the remainder of the drive - this can be
   done without loosing any information.  Just do it like you normally
   would.
2) make a file system on the partition
3) mount that file system as /home (make sure you make backups of what's
   in /home, first)
4) restore the backups into the new /home
5) don't forget to make the changes to /etc/fstab so that the new /home
   will be mounted at boot.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein