Re: Disk partiotioning advice

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Micha Feigin wrote:

michf >i was wondering whats the larjest partition size that linux can deel with
michf >(and if there is still limitation on the size of the root (boot) partition

slink is easily able to handle a 9gig drive, i recently installed it on a
10.1gig ibm drive and it went flawlessly.  now that doesn't mean that your
motherboard/bios can handle it properly. if its a fairly new board, then
you shouldn't have a problem, but i think its good practice to make sure i
got the latest bios. the 8GB barrier is all that may be of concern in this
case..

michf >I am looking for advice on how to best partition the disk to allow for
michf >flexability when I need to change configurations/add programs.

i would do something like this .. 1 500MB C: (FAT16) Primary, use boot
manager of choice(i highly reccomend system commander) 1 128MB Linux Swap
Primary, 1 5GB Linux EXT2 Primary, the rest an extended partition
formatted FAT32. keep the boot portion of the disk at the
start(fastest) swap next(next fastest) linux next ..windows last.

michf >I have a 1 GB disk now so i don't have experiance with large disks.
michf >Also, is the a way to give windows access (rw) to a linux partition, so i
michf >can share the user partition betwin systems (I prefer to make it a linux
michf >partition with access to windows and not the other way around).

yes and no, there are some utils out there to allow read only access to a
EXT2 partition, some with experimental RW access, but mouting foreign file
systems should always be done read only, in cases where the driver is not
really well tested.  mounting FAT16/FAT32 drives is quite safe in linux
2.0/2.2 and can be mounted RW.  To access EXT2 drives from Win9x look into
this program:
http://www.yipton.demon.co.uk/

i tested it a few times, it runs *ok* but is VERY VERY SLOW (at the time,
it was about a year since i tried it)

michf >If not, how do I mount a windows partiton with write permision to regular
michf >users? (or a specific user), and is it posible to use a windows partition
michf >as the home directory for a user?

you can, but i dont reccomend it. File permissions are not available on
FAT16/FAT32 file systems. so you'd have no security, anyone could
read/write/delete anything.  you could use the UMSDOS file system, which
would give experimental support for permissions on a FAT16/32 drive but i
wouldnt reccomend that either.

nate