Disk partiotioning advice

I am about to recive a new computer with a 9 Gb disk.
i was wondering whats the larjest partition size that linux can deel with
(and if there is still limitation on the size of the root (boot) partition
(I know that there was a 1 Gb limitation)
Also I need about hals the disk for windows (regratably i need to submit
some excersizes with visual studio)
That leaves abot 5 GB for linux.
I am looking for advice on how to best partition the disk to allow for
flexability when I need to change configurations/add programs.
I have a 1 GB disk now so i don't have experiance with large disks.
Also, is the a way to give windows access (rw) to a linux partition, so i
can share the user partition betwin systems (I prefer to make it a linux
partition with access to windows and not the other way around).
If not, how do I mount a windows partiton with write permision to regular
users? (or a specific user), and is it posible to use a windows partition
as the home directory for a user?
Thanx
michf@math.tau.ac.il