LINUX-GENERAL: How the Corporations See Linux

     This is a bit off-topic but the sort of news that appears
on the list from time to time.  It's about an article in
"Computer Edge," a free weekly that's distributed in various
offices of computer and network related corporations around
Denver, Colorado, US.  It is also dropped at newsstands around
the Denver area, home of at least two large computer/networking
corporate business parks that have been recieving much business
that was formerly done in Silicon Valley (California) and
Portland (Oregon).  NORAD is also near here.

    In the article, "Linux: Not Yet Corporate-Ready" (Robin
Hohman), the author wrote "...that Linux needs to grow in three
key areas..."  "...scalability, security and applications."  The
author wrote that these are the areas that Linux needs to catch
up to Windows NT and UNIX in before it will be accepted by
corporations.

     The rest of the article went on to cite testimony from
various networking "experts" as to Linux's shortcomings, showing
a lack of knowledge in network systems and a willingness to
defame it without such basic knowledge.

     There you have it--ignorance (and fear on the part of many
MS "experts" is our worst enemy in some corporate circles.  I've
seen it firsthand while working contracts for businesses in the
Denver Technology Center, i.e., new, complete images being reinstalled
on NT servers at least once per week, other network operating systems
of only 2 or 3 hundred workstations going down, on average, once
per week...

    BTW, the same article cited another expert (Dr. Subo Guha) as
saying that "ISPs are looking at using Linux for Web hosting,..."
Well, ain't that some leading edge (or Computer Edge) news?  I'm
talking the very edge, man!  Heh, heh,...bwahahahaha!

    It's time to attend some shows with Linux systems and conduct
some surveys around Denver, isn't it?  The Web address for the
publication mentioned above is www.computoredge.com.

Art