Re: saving X session?

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 04:02:39PM -0800, Ron Farrer wrote:
> When I log out all my settings are lost; window manager (WindowMaker),
> themes, etc. How can I make it so that these things 'stick' when I
> logout and back in? I'm using slink and xdm to load X.

KDE has excellent session management built into its window manager
(kwm).  It tries to automagically save windows' geometry information
and the commandlines used to start them, plus lots of other things
for native KDE apps.  Unfortunately, it's no longer part of Debian
because of licensing issues, but you can still get some fairly
recent "unofficial" slink deb's at:
ftp://sunsite.fisicc-ufm.edu/pub/kde/stable/1.1.2/distribution/deb/slink/i386/

Gnome's automatic session-management program (gnome-session) isn't
quite as clever as KDE's, but since it's not tied to any specific
window manager, you could continue to use WindowMaker.  To use it,
just do a 'gnome-session &' from an xterm, then change your
~/.xsession to have only one command:  exec gnome-session.  (You can
still put non-interactive commands before that, like xhost, xset,
xsetroot, etc., but anything else might get loaded twice.)

Since gnome is part of Debian, you should be able to: "apt-get
install gnome-core gnome-session" to get the basics needed for this.
(You'll probably also want to get gnome-control-center and
gnome-panel.)

This still might not cover your WindowMaker themes problem--you'll
need to check it's documentation for that.

-Kevin