Re: Problems with Display

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 07:41:43AM -0800, Eric Hagglund wrote:
> I am running Debian 2.1 on a Gateway PC (200Mhz
> pentium pro) with Crystal Scan Monitor and an S3 Virge
> Video Card.
>
> Although the Debian OS is for the most part very
> stable, I have never been able to get the monitor to
> display colors with the same intensity as is normal
> when it is running on the Windows 95 platform.
>
> The best example of this is with Netscape. When I
> first set the box up I was getting intermittent errors
> when running netscape which states something to the
> effect that there are "not enough colors to run the
> display". After compiling my kernel (2.2), these
> errors became far less frequent, but the display for
> this program has never been as vivid as it is when
> running the Windows 95 OS.

Well, would colordepth do you use?
You problem should NOT depend of the kernel, but of the Setting for your
XS3(v)?. Have a look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config, there should be something
like:
Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 32

   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1152x864"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Try that

ingo
        I. Reimann                       reimann@uni-muenster.de
        Inst. fuer Angew. Physik         +49 251 83-33527 (fon)
        Correnstr. 2-4                   +49 251 83-33513 (fax)
        D-48149 Muenster
	Germany