Problems with Display

I am running Debian 2.1 on a Gateway PC (200Mhz
pentium pro) with Crystal Scan Monitor and an S3 Virge
Video Card.

Although the Debian OS is for the most part very
stable, I have never been able to get the monitor to
display colors with the same intensity as is normal
when it is running on the Windows 95 platform.

The best example of this is with Netscape. When I
first set the box up I was getting intermittent errors
when running netscape which states something to the
effect that there are "not enough colors to run the
display". After compiling my kernel (2.2), these
errors became far less frequent, but the display for
this program has never been as vivid as it is when
running the Windows 95 OS.

Can anybody provide some pointers as to the most
obvious places to begin troubleshooting?

=====