Re: Password encryption

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 08:55:50PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote
> Pann McCuaig (pann@ourmanpann.com) wrote:

> > > It is most certainly not decryption.  We usually call it "cracking",
> > > or more specifically, "brute-force cracking".
>
> > Please define decryption for me. In my state of ignorance I would have
> > thought a simple definition would be "recovering plaintext from
> > ciphertext" and wouldn't speak to method.
>
> Well, I'm no cryptographer.  But I always think of decryption as the
> deterministic inverse of encryption.  Brute-force cryptanalysis is more
> like guesswork.

Even worse, there's no guarantee with regard to UNIX password authentication
that the recovered password is the plaintext password set by the user - all
you know for sure is that it produces the same hashed string, although that
is all you need for this application.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au