Re: PPP - almost there, but stuck on routing table :(

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, John Miskinis wrote:

> That makes sense, I can see where /dev/modem is useful once things
> are working.  I did remember seeing a note somewhere (I've been
> up all night reading stuff, I forget where) where they discouraged
> the use of /dev/modem, and /dev/mouse however!

A Linux system running on a laptop has to cope with serial ports suddenly
aparing and disaparing and not necesarely connectetd to the same
/dev/ttyS? port. So this is for me the only way to handle this. This is a
little bit different situation from a 'normal' PC (never the less I don't
know the reasons, why this the use of /dev/modem and /dev/mouse is
discouraged there - but this is only due to I've not read about this, yet)

> I'm still accepting recommendations for slink-compatible browsers.
> I just grabbed "Mosaic" but it is complaining about the lack of
> "libXt.so.6".  And the darn link is there (to libXt.so.6.0) on my
> system.  This might be related to a warning I get when running
> ldconfig, as I have pending configurations of libwraster stuff from
> a failed attempt of installing dev versions of things without the
> required non-dev versions.  (Another story, yet to be resumed).

I've use netscape 4.7 found in

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.netscape.com/communicator/english/4.7/unix/supported/linux20_glibc2/

dwonlad size range from 11MB (navigator standalone) to 20MB (proffessional
edition). I've untard the archive, used ns-install (comming with the
tar-ball) to install it in /usr/local/netscape47, made an symlink from
/usr/local/netscape to this directory and final a symlink from
/usr/local/bin/netscape to /usr/local/netscape/netscape ... that works
fine for me.

I've never tried to use the debian packages to install netscape, so I
can't say anything about them.

Martin

--
          Linux, because I'd like to *get there* today

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de