Re: PPP - almost there, but stuck on routing table :(

John Miskinis writes:
> No default route "stuff" shows up, and I'm wondering if the debian
> distribution sets up something that I must change.

Did you set up an ethernet card when you installed?  If you did the install
will have set up a defaultroute to the ethernet.  Pppd won't override an
existing defaultroute.  You can probably just remove that default route:
most people don't need it.

> When I ran "pppconfig" it put the 2 DNS server numbers in OK, but
> according to the howto, there should be a "domain ISP_DOMAIN_NAME" line
> before them, and I don't know the name, or if it is needed.

The HOWTO is wrong.  "domain ISP_DOMAIN_NAME" is not needed.

> I am using a PCMCIA-based modem, connecting manually through minicom and
> specifying my username and password.  I then quit minicom leaving the
> modem connected, and run "pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS2 57600".

Why are you doing that?  Why don't you just use 'pon' to start the
connection and 'poff' to stop it?  You ran pppconfig: pon should work
fine.

Using pon may also solve your defaultroute problem.
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.