Re: PPP - almost there, but stuck on routing table :(

> I noticed that the /dev/modem worked also, but I wanted to be
> sure that it was using ttyS2 for now.

Good. /dev/modem is usually a symlink to wherever your modem is, and my
advice would be to delete it right away - if one program thinks it's using
/dev/modem, and another thinks it's using /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever /dev/modem
is linked to), they may get horribly confused.

> I figured it would be best to get the manual connection method
> working first, to ensure everything is OK, before automating...

Indeed. On the subject of automating, I recommend:

options common to *all* possible connections go in /etc/ppp/options

options for any particular connection go in /etc/ppp/peers/connectionname

symbolic link to favourite dialout connection goes in /etc/ppp/peers/provider
(I use /etc/ppp/peers/isp, but I'd got into that habit before I started
using Debian)

pppd command line is never more complicated than "pppd call connectionname"

use PAP authentication if possible - connections will probably happen
at least slightly faster

use pppd's demand dialling rather than diald

Diald is potentially more flexible than pppd for the demand dialling, but
it seems to me that pppd is the "right" place to deal with that, and that
diald is (in my case at least) adding unnecessary complexity.

I also don't use pon and poff - I just start pppd in demand mode from
my startup scripts, and let it be.

Cheers,

Nick

--