Help: dhcp client problems

Several times in the last little while, Netscape and ping have had problems,
either hanging or responding with Unknown.  I then booted up in Windows95,
and no problem.   Then returning to Debian (1.3.1 still!) and the problem is
solved.  I am on @HOME cable. They tell me that their modem is in  constant
communication with the software  and that the Windows DHCP module is
effectively reseting the modem.  Apparently my DHCP client is periodically
failing. They say that some RH installs also have this problem ( this is why they
don't support Linux). Apparently  a DHCP client that has "pump7" would be desirable.  Can
anyone tell me what to do.  Before you tell me to do so, I should say that   I
installed Debian 2.0 on another drive, but have another problem--it won't
recognize that I have an ethernet card (3c509, I think), so I would like to get
1.3.1 working for the time being. Thanks.
 --
Albert Hurd