Re: Help: dhcp client problems

> Several times in the last little while, Netscape and ping have had problems,
> either hanging or responding with Unknown.  I then booted up in Windows95,
> and no problem.   Then returning to Debian (1.3.1 still!) and the problem is
> solved.  I am on @HOME cable. They tell me that their modem is in  constant
> communication with the software  and that the Windows DHCP module is
> effectively reseting the modem.  Apparently my DHCP client is periodically
> failing. They say that some RH installs also have this problem ( this is why they
> don't support Linux).

That's because RH has a really crappy DHCP client.  @home isn't the only
people who have DHCP problems with Linux; most distributions make a really
poor choice as to which client to include.

Incidentally, it sounds like the DHCP client isn't renewing the
lease.  What happens when you do that manually, and does it happen
regularly (ie every x hours on the dot)?

> Apparently a DHCP client that has "pump7" would be desirable.  Can
> anyone tell me what to do.  Before you tell me to do so, I should say
> that I installed Debian 2.0 on another drive, but have another
> problem--it won't recognize that I have an ethernet card (3c509, I
> think), so I would like to get 1.3.1 working for the time being.
> Thanks.

The first thing I would do is install a different DHCP client, and see if
the problem goes away.  I like to recommend ISC's DHCP client
(http://www.isc.org).  It's extremely configurable, and Just Works.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein