Re: Sources of linux documentation

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 21:21:32 +0200, Manuel Arenaz Silva wrote:
> > Where can I download the Latex/EPS source of this package from?
> Same as with all source: do a dpkg --print-avail on the package so you have
> the source package name, and download that from your friendly neighbourhood
> mirror. Or use apt, and put in "deb-src" entries, then do "apt-get source
> debian-guide".

Two questions:
1) How can I know the source package name from the output of the command "dpkg
--print-avail debian-guide"?

cambados:~# dpkg --print-avail debian-guide
Package: debian-guide
 This package will install the full text in HTML and PostScript formats
 from the book "Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation and Usage" by
 Debian developers John Goerzen and Ossama Othman (ISBN 0-7357-0914-9).
 You can find the installed items under /usr/doc/debian-guide.

2) I have been reading the man for "apt-get" and "sources.list" looking for the
sintax of a deb-src entry in the /etc/apt/sources.list file, but I have found no
documentation about it. Where can I find this information? Which is the sintax of
this type of entry?

This is the version of apt installed in this Debian box:

cambados:~# dpkg --print-avail apt
Package: apt
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 1068
Maintainer: APT Development Team <deity@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.1.9
Replaces: deity
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.0.7u), libstdc++2.9
Conflicts: deity
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/admin/apt_0.1.9.deb
Size: 319114
MD5sum: fe1aee4c9f2a2c95e2b6ad1ca807b09d
 This is Debian's next generation front-end for the dpkg package manager.
 It provides the apt-get utility and APT dselect method that provides a
 simpler, safer way to install and upgrade packages.
 APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source capability
 and several other unique features, see the Users Guide in

Thanks in advance,

                Manuel Arenaz