Re: debian installation woes

>1: w95 (1 gig)
>2: extended (the rest of it)
>   5: linux (1gig)
>   6: vfat storage partition (2 gigs)
>   7: vfat storage partition (the rest of it)
>   8: linux swap (150 megs)

There MAY be a problem with the boot sector crossing a
1024 cyl bound, not sure if scsi has this problem.
Just to be sure I'd do the following...
1: win 95
2: /boot ext2 linux 10-50meg
3: swap 127 megs (no swap may exceed 128mb, but you
can have more than one.  Rummor has it that swap
partitions work better if near the front of the disk)
4: extended
5: linux
6: ... whatever

>Other hardware:
>- realtek 8029 PCI ethernet card (the installer can't
>find the module to install this card in the
installer)
you will have to configure the module by hand.  Use
ne2000-pci

What I did (installed off cd rom) was to NOT specify
any configuration, and let it drop me into dselect.  I
selected the multi-cd method, put the SECOND cd in and
did an UPDATE available packages, then put the FIRST
cd in and REPEATED that step.  Then I skipped the
SELECT phase and went right to the INSTALL (all the
required and recommened packages for a bare install
were allready selected).  After that I read the
dselect manual to learn the keystrokes and then added
stuff a little bit at a time.

Once you have it figured out dselect ain't bad, and
you'll wonder how redhat users can stand having to use RPM!

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....