Kernal Upgrade and WINE questions

I am running slink with kernal 2.0.34 and am thinking about upgrading to kernal
2.2.10 (I have seen posts about problems with 2.2.11 and 2.2.12, no news, yet
on 2.2.13).  I don't have any dire need to upgrade, so I'm not sure if it is a
good idea, or just wait until potato is upgraded to stable and get the new
kernal then.

Also, while looking through potato, I noticed that there is finally a new
version of wine up.  Has anyone used this version yet?  I tried wine a while
back and could not get it to work well, at all.  Now that I have WP8 installed,
wine is not quite so important, but there are a few other Windoze programs
which I would like to be able to use if wine will work well with them.  Pegasus
Mail is the major hitch here.  I use XFMail, but my wife still boots up Win 3.1
in order to be able to use Pegasus.  If wine will run Pegasus, I would probably
use it, too.  XFMail has a tendancy to frequent crashes (but nothing else under
Linux gives me problems like this).  I would also like to be able to use
Quattro Pro 5.0 under wine.  Would I need to upgrade to potato to use this
version of wine?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc Shapiro                             http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/
 -- Linux IS user-friendly.  It is just picky about who its friends are.