Re: toggle xdm off? // and more other questions

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 10:47:32PM -0400, jack wrote:
<snip>
> 3. Normally, I like to start X manually.  Unfortunately, xdm on debian
> always try to run X on first.  I tried to change mode to 3 in inittab, but
> it's still there.
Debian's inittab is different than RedHat's. xdm will run in runlevels
2-5 by default if /etc/X11/Xf86Config is present.  To stop xdm from
running remove the soft link /etc/rc2.d/S20xdm.

> 4. regarding sound, I had to use makedev to make device in /dev.  Is it
> common with debian?
Last I knew, sound wasn't built into Debian kernels, and hence no
devices.

> 5. I am still newbie with sendmail.  It's now ok to send out
> emails.  However, it does not know how to deliver mail to local user.  I
> have /etc/hosts including localhost(127.0.0.1) and rg(10.0.0.1) -- I
> use it as my host name.  I guess it's causing trouble.  what's the best
> way to set it up? (ppp is the only network connection.)
If your using exim instead of sendmail, add localhost in the line of
/etc/exim.conf so it looks like 'local_domains = localhost:<hostname>'.
Not sure if your using something else.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |