toggle xdm off? // and more other questions

hi,

after another re-installation of slink, upgrading potato and struggling
with all kind of settings and tunings, finally things are getting better
and better.  Meanwhile, still have puzzles need to be solved:

1. apt-get is really cool.  However, upgrading is still upgrading.  I did
not expect "painless" and did get some problem. i.e. the X could not be up
and said missing fixed fonts.  I got same problem in Redhat before.  Most
likely, it's caused by upgrading when X is running.  So, I reinstall
xfree3.3.5 related packages.  Sure, a lot of errors.  However, I learned
an option --force-configure-any for dpkg and it finally set misc fonts
right.  My question is: is it safe?  Does it break anything? (--force is a
little scary)

2. I am going to recompile wmaker manually.  will it hurt deb database?

3. Normally, I like to start X manually.  Unfortunately, xdm on debian
always try to run X on first.  I tried to change mode to 3 in inittab, but
it's still there.

4. regarding sound, I had to use makedev to make device in /dev.  Is it
common with debian?

5. I am still newbie with sendmail.  It's now ok to send out
emails.  However, it does not know how to deliver mail to local user.  I
have /etc/hosts including localhost(127.0.0.1) and rg(10.0.0.1) -- I
use it as my host name.  I guess it's causing trouble.  what's the best
way to set it up? (ppp is the only network connection.)

Thousands thanks to those already helped me and you who are going
to.  Appreciate it.

jack