Re: Booting up and security

> Having made the move to potato and 2.2.13, my server is now a source of joy.
> One small question...to get things to start I've been adding then to
> /etc/init.d/network along the lines of...
>
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Move this to the end.  As it is now, there is a small window between
forwarding being enabled and people getting what they're not supposed to.

> ipchains -P forward DENY
> ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ
> ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.9 broadcast 10.0.0.255
> route add -net 10.0.0.0 dev eth1

This isn't needed with a 2.2 kernel - it's done automatically when
'ifconfig' is run.

> fetchmail -d 300
>
> Is there a better way to start a second NIC, IP masquarading and fetchmail.

I've hacked up a set of shell scripts that make setting up additional NICs
easy (I think so, at least).  Let me know if you want it - total size of
the tarball would be less than 1k.

> Does this look like a secure setup?

For the most part - as part of IP masq, you also have firewalling in the
kernel.  I suggest you make use of it.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein