Re: nfs install

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, C.J.LAWSON wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> 	I am just trying to get my first debian box up and running. I am
> having problems with the nfs installation process. The main problem I am
> having is the detection/configureing of my 'Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ LAN
> Adapter' card.
> 	Please does/has anyone used this network card succesfully? If you
> have I would like to hear from you.
> 	Also, please could you reply to me personally as I have not
> resubscribed to the list yet.

I'm using that Ethernet card successfully, although I wish I had bought
3Com Ethernet cards instead. Anyway, there are a couple of things to do
depending upon the configuration of you machine. The first thing you must
do is configure the Ethernet card so that it is not in Plug and Play mode
and set up the proper IRQ and I/O address for your machine. This is done
using the Intel configuration disk that comes with the card (or it can be
downloaded from Intel's web site). The Intel configuration is run in DOS,
like off a WinXX startup floppy or whatever. I would recommend an IRQ = 10
and I/O address = 0x300, which are widely used for Ethernet devices,
although there are other values that will work fine also. Once the
Ethernet card is configured, install Debian, configure the drivers and
select the eepro driver. If you use the aforementioned IRQ, I/O address
values, you won't have to provide any parameters to the driver (which it
will ask for during the driver installation). This really should be it.
I've had trouble getting two EtherExpress Pro's working in the same
machine, but getting one to work was really straightforward (once you turn
off the Plug and Play stuff).

If the machine is dual booting Linux and WinXX, then you'll have to mess
around with the Win configuration for the card to that it can see it. It
wants to use Plug and Play. Somewhere in the properties dialog for the
adapter configuration you can set the IRQ, I/O address, or you can disable
Plug and Play from the IRQ you're using (depending upon you're BIOS). My
machines are Linux only, so I don't have this problem.

Hope this helps...