Re: kernel upgrade options

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

>     J> Firstly, when I boot, I do not get an opportunity apply any
>     J> parameters - the reference to (I think) Peter Anwin and the boot
>     J> prompt do not appear - the word 'loading' and a fast moving line of
>     J> dots then right into the 'init' and up comes the log-in screen. (No
>     J> time to pick up my coffee mug). What have I omitted?
>
> I too have the same 'problem'. When I initially installed Debian a couple
> of months ago, that was one of the first thing that I noticed. The Debian
> boot process does not seem to give any opportunity to enter boot
> parameters, the way that Redhat does by pausing at the LILO: prompt.

As a newbie, I have had many problems -- still trying to get X Windows to
correctly run :( -- but I found what (at least seems to me) to be a cool
fix for this problem you mention above.  I installed Red Hat 6.1 (doesn't
take very long) and installed LILO on the Master Boot Record.  Then, I
installed Debian over it, formatting the drives and everything.  BUT, when
I came to the point in the installation where I told it to make linux
bootable directly from hard disk, it gave me the following message: "The
root filesystem is installed in a logical partition.  LILO can't boot from
there, so you must install LILO in one of the following extended
partitions.  Please select the partition to use:".  At this point, I hit
cancel and then go ahead and make my boot floppy and then reboot.
Essentially, I have left the Master Boot Record alone.  Then when I boot
up, I have the opportunity to boot either into Windows or Linux.

Bryan Walton