root read only + can't remount it

I have a problem I have just installed slink but am unable to change root from read only. When I try to remount / the command "remount" is unrecognised even though it is listed in the files. I think that fstab and mtab are fualty as well but am unable to access these due to the ro privelages for root. The only powers alllowed are listing and creating new user accounts (not privelage specific (ro) ).
Debian boots into bash for root and user though I have only been able to use non-graphical shells.
Any help would be appreciated.

Douglas Hunter (confused newbie)