Re: Trouble at the start of installing debian 2.1

Today, Raúl Ibáñez, spilled the beans:

RlIe> Then I press Return to start, and the system crashes when it appears these
RlIe> lines:
RlIe>     hda: ST36421A, 61250 MB W/256 Kb Cache, CHS=784/255/63, UDM
RlIe>     hdb: CRD-8480B, ATAPI CDROM drive
RlIe> Now the system stop and doesnt do any.

On my system, atleast, the next step for the kernel is to display
something like this:

----------- not this
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.9)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
SIS5513: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 01
SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: Maxtor 72004 AP, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD820E.1v78b9108, ATAPI CDROM drive
------------ this
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: Maxtor 72004 AP, 1916MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=973/64/63
------------

so it is dieing trying to come up with that info for whatever reason.

I see 2 possible explanations,
1: your ide-chipset is buggy or unsupported in the install kernel
2: you have irq conflicts or primary/secondary/master/slave problems with
the way your drives are setup..  To resolve the issue start by changing
you cd-rom drive to your secondary-master, make sure that your bios sees
it this way too...  (you can do this by reading the instructions that came
with your cdrom drive)

in the case that this is not the answer - trying giving us the 3-4 lines
leading up to the line you gave....

if it is a problem where the kernel on the bootdisk you are using doesn't
support your ide-chipset, then try another: try the set of disks in,

ftp://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/disks-i386/current/

you will need:
 rawrite2.exe (to make the disks)
 resc1440.bin
 drv14-1.bin
 drv14-2.bin
 drv14-3.bin

 if you don't have the rest of the files on cd, you will need,

 base14-1.bin through base14-12.bin

 you may also want to try the resc1440-safe.bin - first just download the
resc1440.bin or the resc1440-safe.bin and make sure that it gives you the
first screen of the install... maybe even go to the partition screen to
make sure it sees you harddrive... then reboot the machine and get the
other disks if you don't have them.  (you will atleast need new drv*
files, you should be able to use an old base set of an old cd if you
wish)

 --
  Marques Johansson
displague@linuxfan.com

Warning! This not checked for grammer or speling. You figure it out!