Re: Default PGBUFFERS value is too low.

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> >Now /var/log/postgres.log tells me:
> >
> >'/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: -B must be at least twice -N and at
> >least 16.'

> -B takes the value of $PGBUFFERS from /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init.  Its
> default value is 64.  -N sets the maximum number of backend processes that
> may be started.  Its default is 64 as of 6.5.2-1, so it is surprising that
> no-one else has met the error you have.  There is no provision to set this
> in postmaster.init - an omission that I shall rectify.
>
> Increase the value of PGBUFFERS.

Making it 128 did the trick. I don't know for sure what previous version I had
installed; it was potato as of a couple/few weeks ago. Whatever it was, it did
not show this problem.

(In that prior version postgres's home dir in etc/passwd was /var/postgres and
that wasn't a problem either, although I've made /var/lib/postgres now.)

Thanks!

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at

"I think it's a bad treaty." Henry Kissinger in The Washington Post, 10/14/99.