Re: Help Please, potato ne2000 install problem

(Courtesy CC sent)

Hi Stan,

I've got a Realtek-8029, which is a PCI NE2000 clone, so it might
be similar.

IIRC, the NE2k cards depend on the 8390 module.  You will need this
module to avoid the unresolved symbols.

To associate the card with the eth0 interface, I add the line

    alias eth0 ne2k-pci

into the /etc/modutils/aliases file (your module might not be the
ne2k-pci one, substitute as necessary) and run update-modules to
regenerate the /etc/modules.conf file.

The alias makes the ne2k-pci module get autoloaded when the
"ifconfig eth0 ... up" is encountered (usually in /etc/init.d/network)

Hope this helps,
Paul