Re: just curious about Debian vs Redhat

On 27-Oct-1999, aphro <nate@firetrail.com> wrote:
> i have yet to even touch apt ..whats so good about it ??

You can mix and match the locations where you get the .debs from
(including multiple CDs), and it will automatically pick up the latest
version.

You don't have to use dselect, you can do it all from the command line,
which is nice when you only want to get one package.

You can upgrade to a new version of debian with just one command
(supposedly will handle libc upgrade without getting the system into an
inconsistent state).

> i always have used dftp to update my stuff ..works great.

Yes it does, but it lacks some of the advanced features of apt.

Pete